Oh Africa...or is it Honduras?

It has been quite some time since my last blog post! Much has happened since my fun picture post from Thanksgiving.

So, I'll try to briefly catch up! My graduation was a definite success and the company/celebration was rewarding! I appreciate all of the support form my family and friends throughout the past four and a half years to help me reach one of my many milestones.


Christmas was a blessing sharing it with my direct and extended family and friends. I would have to say that I was a bit sad to see the holiday pass, but I am just as excited for next Christmas to roll around to continue the great traditions.

A week later, I was on my way with 22 other students and leaders to Atlanta, Georgia to learn about who Jesus really is and what we are called here on earth to do. The Passion 2011 conference was truly an incredible experience and would recommend to anyone to experience at least once in their life time. I'd have to say, I wasn't quite sure what to expect out of this trip and honestly did not go with the positive mind set that I would really enjoy what I was going to be doing the four days we were there. Thankfully I came back to Norman a different person than who I was before we left.
For the four days of Passion, inspirational speakers spoke the word of God to 22,000 college students and leaders from around the world in two of Atlanta's arenas. There were popular worship bands who performed several times throughout the four days which were amazing!!
(I'll go ahead and post a few pictures and possibly a video of the conference. I could go on and on about this awesome experience, but I'm running a little short on time...eek!)





At the conference, there was an area called "DO SOMETHING NOW." This was a movement for those who attended to donate strictly to a particular cause to help those in other countries around the world. Most of our group, 23 college/leaders, donated enough money for a loan so a family can get out poverty. This was so awesome and I am very proud of the group I traveled with and what were able to do. I also was able to donate for the sex-trafficking going on in the Philippines.
For the overall experience, it is definitely one I will always have a warm place inside and memory to share for a lifetime. Hopefully I will be able to experience this again.

Throughout the break I took time to really think about which way I wanted my life to go. The love of traveling and the opportunities that were available were to hard to pass up! This May, I will either be studying abroad with OU to Ghana & Togo, Africa, or I will be traveling to Honduras to work with UrbanPromise with a very small group of people. The unknown location has many factors that I am working to find answers to. Either place will be satisfying to me the experience and adventure will be a great one and I am sooo excited!

For those of you who do not know, this Tuesday, I will  begin my masters degree at OU in Human Relations. Today, I went to the Norman Library to hear Dr. George Henderson speak about our society since the Civil Rights Movement and MLK. Dr. Henderson was the first African American professor to be hired at OU and is the founder of OU's Human Relations program. He still teaches minimal classes at OU, but because of his continuation to battle cancer, a normal class period can be a struggle. His speech was very interesting and hopeful. I hope I will be fortunate enough to have him soon as a professor while I complete my masters.
"I just want to do God's will. And he's allowed me to go to the mountain. And I've looked over, and I've seen the promised land! I may not get there with you, but I want you to know tonight that we as a people will get to the promised land." Martin Luther King, Jr.


As always, I have discovered more and more music. This one is more of a hip hop that I cannot seem to stop listening to everyday. (Not sure why...) The title is called "Don't Let Me Fall" by B.o.B. Enjoy!





Love.

Comments

Popular Posts