2013- The "Happenings"

This year as a whole was filled with happiness, additions, new beginnings and rough endings. As most years... a lot can happen and I feel this year was definitely in the "happening" mode. Let me express why!

New Years Day, I received an unexpected phone call from my sister that she was expecting in nine months! 
As excited and happy as I was, my heart and dreams were a bit conflicted. At the time, I was in the process, of looking for a job abroad, and to have a new start since I had just completed my master's degree. I was in a rut and not in a very sanctioned or stable place in life. But, I couldn't imagine myself being half-way across the world and not seeing my niece or nephew be born without physically laying eyes on them the first day in this big world. 

February 1- 8, I traveled with a group of 10 from my church, on a medical mission trip to LaGonave, Haiti. This brought the unsatisfactory of my life to reality and for the first time in months, I felt at peace. Not only did this team touch the people in Haiti, but the people in Haiti also touched me.













February 23, my brother and sister-in-law brought the most gorgeous baby girl, Myla Omega, home from Ethiopia, Africa whom we had waited to meet for over 3 YEARS!!!!
 I am a proud aunt to have such a sweet and hilarious niece be an addition to the family. 


Mid-April to May, I ventured back to St. George's, Grenada to celebrate my cousin's birthday and experience paradise island during the non-tourists season.
 I had the time to explore the area on my own and build my confidence to explore foreign locations solo. It was a blast, but practice makes perfect ;) 
After this trip, I realized my timing to relocate was not in the mix at that moment in my life.

Early June, I marked off something huge on my bucket list. I finally found the courage to to cut off my hair!! Why did it take 25 years to finally do this?! I met the right person to encourage me that I would look great and could definitely pull it off. I guess that's all I needed to hear after everyone else discouraging me. After I left the salon, I posted a new profile picture of the "new me" and received over 100 "likes" with 30-some odd compliment comments, so I felt like I made a good move. :)




Late June, I stood by one of my best friend's sides as I saw her marry the man of her dreams, but it was hard to say good-bye as the love birds moved to the far northeast corner of Arkansas. Road trips are always a possibility!

Towards the end of July, I was given notice that due to government budget cuts, my position at the now former job, was ending. This was one of those situations where you hear about happening to people and big corporations, but not happening to youself. I had all kinds of worries, stress and the worst case scenarios come to mind. Luckily, my former employers gave me a little over a month to find a new position. In all, this was a blessing in disguise.

I already had my yearly trip to New Orleans planned about a week later. I'm sure this wasn't the brightest idea given my situation, but this was a fun getaway. I made sure to not bring up this unfortunate situation since there wasn't anything I could do about it while I was away. I traveled down and had a great time!

Well, I also had another trip planned to see my best friend in Chicago! It was a fun time getting to see Andrea and explore the city. 
This trip was also so memorable because I was offered a position as an Assistant Director in Career Services at the University of Oklahoma!! I don't think I have ever had such a weight lifted off my shoulders as I did after the phone call. This position has been such a blessing in so many ways. I started my new position with a week left of my former position completely ending. I know that I can really say that God was watching over me and his timing is perfect. Since the first day in Career Services, I don't think there has been a bad day at work yet!

The second day of my new position, my family welcomed baby Bryson John McGuire into the family! He is such a pretty baby with cute little dimples when he smiles and giggles :) 

I'm proud of his older brother, Cooper, for being such a good sport and a loving sibling!

The semester of happenings happened, some, or... well... most I'll just leave out, but THEN, I decided to book my big trip for next summer to meet my cousins in Bangkok, Thailand and onto Luang Prabang, Laos where they own a restaurant/bar! I've never been to Asia, so this will definitely be a trip of a lifetime. 

On December 3, my brother's family officially announced they were on the waiting list again to adopt their second child from Ethiopia! This is how they announced the wonderful news :)
To end this "Happening" post, I wouldn't have been able to make it through most days without music, so here's a recap of 2013's pop music... the ones with memories attached.

Love.

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. It definitely was! I'm so glad you could be a part of it before you moved!

      Delete
  2. So many exciting things going on in your life. I didn't know your brother and Christie were on the waiting list for another adoption...that's awesome!! By the way, a road trip to Arkansas is not a possibility, it's a must!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts